Monday, May 2, 2011

Gloves for working with lime

Just answering a query: what gloves to wear when working with lime? Gloves are part of your kit, and like any other tool should be appropriate to the work. I have no shame in wearing marigolds, rubber gloves for house work, when working with hemp-lime plaster ; ) Just make sure they fit well. There are 2 gauges available here, I use the heavier black ones for hemp and lime. But the lighter ones are useful too, if you like working with your hands. Many builders we have worked with prefer the kind of woven gloves that are rubberised on the fingers and palms. Josh likes using them for stone work. Make sure your hands stay dry though or you may need to see my post on lime burns. Much depends on how messy you are, if your tools stay nice and clean then your hand will too. Finally for pargetting and other fine work I like to use surgical gloves so that I can feel my small tool and sometimes use my fingers too. They do break easily, so I usually have a box full, and replace the pair I'm wearing often. Other types of gloves should last well if you wash them as you go. Another tip I'd recommend is applying a coat of vaseline in the morning before work, so that it has time to absorb into the skin. So to summarise, professional plasterers and builders will usually wear woven rubberised gloves. Beginners and artists may prefer lighter gloves. The most important thing is to have an adequate level of protection.

13 comments:

Sara said...

Hi Phoebe

I am Sara and I would like to know more about hemp-lime structures. I have collected all the raw materials, I have got the hemp hurds, lime based binders and for a start I would like to make a small block / brick. I would like to know the approx ratio of hemp hurds to lime to water. Can I use a silicon baking (loaf) mould to make the block ?

How long would it take to dry ? Any suggestions would be great.

vance said...

Perhaps to some, describing every day building tasks as a work of art may actually seem a little far fetched and even over-rated, but when we consider the workmanship involved and how these old builders and plasterers achieved what they did, with what little tools they had, I think the term is actually quite fitting.

My father was one of those 'old tradesmen', a stonemason who indeed was incredibly talented and skilled in construction. In fact, he worked on some of the UK's greatest structures including the Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace and also St Paul's Cathedral.
Plasterers Nottingham

Claudia said...

hi Phoebe, i really enjoy your blog and put a link to it on my own
http://makinghaywhilethesunshines.tumblr.com/ regards.

Keelytm said...

Thanks for the post. I think a lot of people forget about safety things like gloves when working with a lime wash. But I am glad you brought it up, as it's always best to be safe. I haven't started my next project with a lime wash, but I am getting excited for it. I love how it kind of glows once it's dry.

toffelnigar said...

The typical homeowner will try to fix concrete crack repair with caulk. But this is only a superficial crack repair. Water will fill the inside of the crack and cause efflorescence, which will eventually loosen the caulk. In couple years, the caulk will start peeling. An alternative foundation crack repair method is to excavate and patch the crack on the exterior. This may not be permanent because all surface crack repairs will eventually get loose or crack.

London Plastering said...

Thanks for sharing this. I finded around your website and found your blog is excellent. There are a lot of info for me to study, thanks for your great share.

Carlos said...

Great post! There is more of this going on now in the US, thanks in part to Steven Allin's book and others - but it is still illegal there to grow hemp - so please sign your name to the White House petition along with Green Party candidate Cynthia McKinney and Mina Hegaard - at www.minawear.com/about-us/ and help make it legal!
Also great hemp facts and activism info at www.hempforvictory.blogspot.com

Saeed Zia said...

Latest Hot Entertainment News, Latest update about Bollywood, hollywood, pakistani Girls
hotentertainnews.blogspot.com

Carlos said...

Just heard from Baroness Jenny Tonge that hemp insulatoin is being used in UK houses as mold proof insulation.

Saeed Zia said...

Jobs at your Home, Internet Online Jobs like data entry, copy pasting, Form Filling, Facebook Sharing Jobs, Clicking Jobs, Web Surfing, Google Jobs and Much More Earning Systems Online
www.jobzcorner.com

Rehan Ahmed said...

Most Expensive Cars in the World, Top Concept Cars, Top Strange Vehicles in the World and Car latest hot top Wallpapers
worldlatestvehicles.blogspot.com

Jon said...

Hi Phoebe, I completely agree; safety is the most important thing when working at plastering jobs and sometimes people underrate the importance of dry hands and protective gloves.

James said...

Hi Guys – we posted your Blog at The Hemp Exchange – www.Hemp-X.com I hope that’s OK.
Feel free to post all your Blogs and content with us – it’s free and a powerful content marketing and content distribution tool that will drive traffic to you we promise.
Post your Blogs, News, Items For Sale, Photos, News and More.
Thank you and have a great day!
James